Which is better for cycling and content creation: DJI Mini 3 or Skydio 2+?

Hi everyone, I’ve never owned a drone before. Right now, I use my iPhone and GoPro for making fun cycling videos set to music. I’m not an influencer, just enjoy making these edits. The follow-me features of both drones seem perfect for what I want. I need shots of sprinting, descending, and climbing. I know neither drone can keep up on a 60mph descent, but speed is still important to me; scenic shots are secondary.

The Skydio 2 seems hard to find but might be better for my needs. The DJI is only $450 at Costco, which is tempting, but I’m worried it might not do what I need. Any advice on which would be better? If you need to see what I mean, I can share my Instagram to show some of my edits.

1 Like

Alex just know that the Skydio 2+ is a better option for tracking you on your bike without getting caught on obstacles. The DJI won’t be suitable for your needs and would be a waste of money.

1 Like

Hey there…Both the DJI Mini 3 and Skydio 2+ have their strengths, and the choice depends on your specific needs and priorities for cycling and content creation.

For filming your cycling adventures, both drones have pros and cons.

Here’s a simple breakdown to help you decide:

Following & Speed:

• Skydio 2: The best for autonomous tracking, especially for fast-paced activities. It excels at keeping up with cyclists, even in tough terrain.
  • DJI Mavic 3: While DJI’s Active Track 5.0 has improved, it still isn’t as reliable as Skydio 2 for high-speed tracking.

Availability & Price:

• Skydio 2: Harder to find and usually more expensive.
  • DJI Mavic 3: Readily available and often cheaper, especially at Costco.

Your Scenario:

Since you prioritize speed and tracking over scenic shots and are new to drones, the Skydio 2 might be a better fit. Its superior tracking will capture the dynamic moments of sprinting, climbing, and descending.

Additional Advice:

• Check used markets: You might find a good deal on a Skydio 2.
  • Consider future needs: If scenic filming becomes more interesting, the Mavic 3’s camera is better.
  • Research reviews: Look for comparisons focused on cycling and tracking performance.

Seeing your Instagram edits isn’t possible here due to privacy restrictions, but keep making them! It will help you figure out what kind of shots you want the drone to capture.