Tips for Flying Drones in the US?

I am a drone pilot from Australia currently traveling through Europe, where I’ve found excellent resources for safe and legal flying. In two weeks, I will be heading to the USA and would appreciate any insider tips you have.

Is there a licensing and testing process similar to what we have in Australia and Europe? Do drones need to be registered? Are the rules consistent across the country or do they vary by state?

Thanks for your advice!


Before you arrive in the USA from Europe, bear the following in mind:

  • Need a Remote Pilot Certificate (RPC) from the FAA to fly commercially (not just for fun).
  • Pass a knowledge test on drone regulations.
  • Register your drone if it weighs over 0.55 lbs.

There are some federal rules, but also check state orlocal regulations before flying.

Here’s how to get started:

  1. FAA: Become a Remote Pilot
  2. Get your RPC early; processing can take a few weeks.

Happy flying in the USA!

1 Like

There is a method in the US called the FAA Part 107 Remote Pilot Certificate. Like licenses in other countries, you have to pass a test of your skills to get it.

1 Like

Ensure that the drone is in good condition, with fully charged batteries and no damage to propellers or other parts.